Wednesday 19 March 2014

How to be an online 'Curator'

If, like me, you have a bit of a fascination with Museum Collections then there is rarely anything that quite satisfies the need to pick up and touch the objects! I’m currently on a journey to what I hope will lead me to becoming a curator, but until that point there isn’t much that will allow me to get that same experience. Looking at exhibitions from behind glass just won’t cut it!

However, while working at the Natural History Museum I was introduced to a little technique some Museums are using at the moment called crowd-sourcing. This involves using other websites to allow the general public to transcribe collections online. If you google this (or something along these lines) you will come up with quite a few, but the one I have been looking at is the Zooniverse website:


Originally, it was to do with astronomy, but now there are several history-based projects that are just perfect for history lovers like us!

The NHM’s project has now largely been done; it was called ‘Notes from Nature’. 


But the ones I’m more focussed on are the war diaries and discovering the lives of ancient greeks. (Hint: it’s halfway down the page under the ‘humanities’ section). The projects involve transcribing/identifying bits from the pages of old diaries or scraps of old papyrus, which is easy to do once you’ve had a go at the tutorial.

Each entry is done about 4 times by different users, to iron out any mistakes, then curators use them when they’re cataloguing this collection. So, you are actually helping curators do their work!

I’ve not done a fantastic job of explaining it, but trust me, once you start you won’t stop. One ledger or entry becomes another, and soon you would have found an hour gone by and you feeling pleased with yourself. I really love these projects, and it’s such a unique way of getting to grips with Museum collections in your spare time.

Have a go at the science ones as well – I’m currently a bit obsessed with the sea floor one!

Here’s hoping that more museums take a look at these websites for their projects, and use them to their full advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment