Monday 17 March 2014

My favourite historical fiction reads


So I’m not going to do the usual ‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ recommendations. Let’s be honest, we ALL know about that! But below is a list of books (some you might of heard of, some not) that are genuinely amazing reads for historical fiction gluttons:

The Tatiana and Alexander Series (beginning with the Bronze Horseman) by Paullina Simons:
I have never been so emotionally drained by a book. Seriously, I had to put this down several times to pull myself together, much to the dismay of my long-suffering boyfriend!
The reason why this is so draining is because the writing is so good. Set in Russia during the Second World War, the series will take you across Europe but will also follow the most beautiful, unconventional love-story. It will also bring the siege of Leningrad to light, which I don’t think should ever be forgotten.



Katherine by Anya Seton:
My favourite book. It details the true love story of John of Gaunt (Edward III’s son) and his mistress Katherine Swynford who later became his wife. Their affair scandalised medieval society, but this beautifully written book will make you fall for them both! A true medieval guilty pleasure.







Hothouse flower by Lucinda Riley:
I’m not usually a fan of books that switch from present day back to the past – I prefer to stay immersed in one time period. However, this book won me over. It’s a love story from two angles, that involves a loveless marriage that is changed forever by one man’s trip to Thailand during the Second World War.







The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman:
Thought you knew everything about Richard III? THINK AGAIN. For example, who knew Richard had an older brother called Edmund, who was cruelly murdered during the Wars of the Roses when he was just 17? Sharon Penman really challenged my view on the three York brothers. A huge book, but you will not be able to put it down.






The Queen’s Fool by Philippa Gregory:
Yes, I had to get her in there somewhere. I only put this down because it’s such an unusual book; it details the fictional story of a female jester at the court of Mary I. It’s a good read!








Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwall:
I’m determined not to stick in the Medieval period, so here is one from wayyyy before. It might seem an unusual choice, because how can we tell if it’s based on anything? However, the story is magical. I don’t know how Bernard does it, but this story of how Stonehenge was built and the families surrounding it is a gem of a read.


No comments:

Post a Comment