Tuesday 9 September 2014

Cambodia

Cambodia was a very special country.

Its modern history goes from one of the most powerful empires in South East Asia to a country devastated by a genocidal regime. As a tourist, this means Cambodia is a mix of heartbreak and utter historic perfection...

Our first stop was the capital of Phnom Penh.


We took a 'cyclo' tour around the city, run by a charity that employs those who would otherwise struggle to find work:


Phnom Penh was no where near as bad as Saigon or Hanoi, and the people were even willing to give us a friendly wave!

What is the food like, I hear you ask? Well...




Yes, that is exactly what it looks like! As they are so deeply fried, locusts and tarantulas actually don't  taste half bad! The key is to repeat 'this is lovely chicken, this is lovely (boney and chewy) chicken' whilst chewing...

I was always interested to go to Cambodia for the simple fact that the Khmer Rouge genocide struck me (see my reading list here). Over a few years in the 70's nearly 25% of the population was exterminated. Currently in Cambodia the population stands at about 50% under 30; proof of what happened and its effects. I didn't think it was appropriate to take many photos of both the Killing Fields and the S-21/Tuol Sleng prison, but I took a few for the blog:



One of the survivors was even at the end of the tour:

Awe-inspiring man!

I really can't do justice to this episode in Cambodia's history, except to say that I will put various links at the bottom for you to explore - please do! The the leaders are only now being brought to justice.
It was certainly an intense day, so we then went on to the Royal Palace. Cambodia currently has a monarchy (restored in 1993), and the current King is in his 50's and sadly hasn't produced an heir (our guide said he has never had a girlfriend either). He is however a trained ballet dancer! He also lives in the 'restricted area' of the Palace complex. My friend and I actually wondered into it by accident, only to be told it was STRICTLY OFF LIMITS... 


We didn't mind though, it was so beautiful anyway.






As if that wasn't enough, a quick quad biking tour of the Cambodian countryside in a thunderstorm was in order! Here is me in my sexy poncho:


Unfortunately, I will have to do a second post as there is too much to tell!

Have you ever been to Cambodia? If so, do comment!

x

If you want to find out about the Khmer Rouge genocide:
Cambodia: The Betrayal - one of the first Western documentaries on the regime.
BBC summary of the regime.
Survival in the Killing Fields - the best book I read from a survivor.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed visiting Cambodia. I found the people there are so lovely. I was really moved by my visit to the killing fields, it is probabaly one of the only places I have been where I have been completely effected by what I saw. I was a bit put off by people taking so many photos though, I took a couple but there were tourists snapping away at everything which I thought was a bit strange. Can't wait to read more about your trip! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sarah! I couldn't agree more - some people were noses up against the glass to take pictures of the skulls, which was a bit inappropriate. I loved that the people were so welcoming - it really made me want to go back! Promise I'll get the final post up soon :D xx

      Delete