Wednesday 24 September 2014

Some post-summer reads

Autumn is my absolute favourite season, and there is no better time to curl up with a cosy blanket and a book!

Here are some reads that I have had on my Kindle, or that I'm about to tackle. Let's see if any of you can beat me to it...

A Pocket Full of Shells by Jean Reinhardt

The Irish Potato Famine doesn't have much fiction written on it, and so when I saw a Pocket Full of Shells I jumped at the chance to read it. I was however, quite disappointed. The book is very short, and the story never really goes anywhere. James and Mary are a very likeable couple, and the start is exciting with the prospect of going to Liverpool to escape the famine, but not much happens overall. Worth a read to find out about this area of history, but don't expect too much!

This House is Haunted by John Boyne

I'm not normally a fan of ghost stories, as they can get a bit silly and unrealistic. I saw this in a bookshop at King's Cross on the new reads shelf, and thought I'd give it a go (it's written by the man who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas). Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. Set in Victorian England, the book follows a newly orphaned governess who is employed at a grand house in Norfolk. Strange things start to happen....and where are the parents? Spooky fun for a cold day!

The Island by Victoria Hislop


Wow. To say this is a must-read is an understatement. I loved every minute of this very popular book, and found the changes between present day and the past very well done. The book focusses on a girl trying to discover her family history which revolves around the mysterious (previous) leper colony on the Greek island of Spinalonga. Warning: nothing else in your life will get done while you are reading this!


On the horizon.....

The Wedding Gift by Marlen Suyapa Bodden


A young slave is given to her younger 'sister' as a wedding gift. Although the two grew up together, their different backgrounds and social standing seems to be key to this story. It reminds me of the recent film Belle, and I hope it is just as good!





The Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez

Written by an American woman who went over to Afghanistan, this story is about a group of women who come together in a beauty salon in Kabul. Rodriguez's first book The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul had rave reviews as it tells the stories of many incredible women and brings them together through friendship. I always like to stay clear of 'raved about' books as they rarely live up to the hype (The Island is a rare exception!) so I thought the second one by this author was a safe bet.

The Silent Lady by Catherine Cookson

A Catherine Cookson classic that was one of my mum's favourite books as a child. I love the TV adaptations of her books, and they are always based at the turn of the 20th Century in the north of England. If I like this one there will be many more!






Finally, for those of you who love snuggling up with a book like I do, Dunhelm Mill is definitely the best place for some gorgeous (and not ridiculously priced) blankets....with 20% off at the moment? Yes please:

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/decor/blankets-and-throws/

Any Autumn reads on your list I've left off?

x

No comments:

Post a Comment