Sunday 13 July 2014

The Great Yorkshire show 2014

In my quest to become the ultimate history lover, I am always on the lookout for experiences to recommend! Recently I went to the Great Yorkshire Show, which until recently was the country's greatest agricultural show. But now? It has grown into a mass of food, crafts and loveable yorkshire ale that was a delight to behold!

I have always been proud of my Yorkshire roots, and as a matter of fact I'm looking at buying this teapot to prove it:


I had a great time at this show, and as always, here are both the photos and some independent shops to have a look at.

The first place we headed to was the food tent. It's fair to say there were samples galore! Using the typical "pretend you're interested" technique, we tried almost everything on offer (not ashamed). 






It's well worth stocking up on food at these shows as opposed to in supermarkets. Do your shopping right and you could end up with about 4 chorizo sausages for £10! Above is a picture of a historic Bavarian sausage stall, who had the best offers I had ever seen on fresh chorizo.

Next were the "shows". The cheese show actually had a "best in show" cheese. Seriously. 



The flower show was pretty beautiful too. Places like these are the best way of showcasing the associations round the country; there is literally one for every kind of flower. These associations ("the British daffodil society") usually have a rich history behind them, and are nationwide. To be honest, I was just in it for the displays:




Next was the arts and crafts. Although there wasn't as much there as some other shows, it was worth a look. This tent was the Country Living one, complete with Laura Ashley fabrics: 







I took full advantage of the tikki huts on display, although the wine wasn't for consumption:



Next was the fashion show, showcasing bits and pieces from Hobbs, maxmara and local colleges. 







My favourite bit of the show had to be the livestock believe it or not! A true Yorkshire history lover to the end ;) 

My grandmother used to have two highland cows when I was growing up, and they were her pride and joy. So I made a beeline for the ones on display here:



And some more little baby cows!


Goats and pigs were on display too:




The judging for each breed takes place on the first day of the show, and the rosettes are displayed throughout the rest of it. So apart from the above, there were also the pigeons. I found this a bit odd, and immediately my view of the humble Trafalgar Square pigeon was changed! They ranged from the bizarre to the ridiculous:







So cute! 

I'm at serious risk of overloading this post with photos, but there were also cars and every tractor imaginable, making it an amazing, informative and thoroughly northern day. What more could you ask for?

Some shops to keep an eye on:

Lalabuds - this woman will ask you for your story (be it a family trip, the story of how you met, or even just a special moment) and draw it for you. I fell in love with her designs.
Top Collar - The subscription box for dog treats! They have all kind of flavours (I bought sunday roast for mine) and are completely homemade and healthy.
Rosydale - If you send this lady a picture of your home she will sew a tweed version, for a cushion or a frame. Very Yorkshire chic.
Rose Cottage Pantry - The VERY BEST pork pies. Eating one was like magic in pastry.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment