Sunday 6 July 2014

What's on my Kindle



I have just finished reading this one and it truly stuck with me. Haing starred in the 1980’s film The Killing Fields, and he actually lived through the Khmer Rouge’s communist takeover of Cambodia in the 1970’s. This is his story. It was heartbreaking and I cannot put into words how shocking it was (particularly as it was so recent), but it is a book everyone should read.






The Summer Queen is sitting on my Kindle in a long line of books waiting to be read, but I’m super excited about it! Elizabeth Chadwick is another historical fiction queen, and this is her latest book (part of a planned trilogy) on Eleanor of Aquitaine. Eleanor was the wife of both the Kings of England and France in her time, and has gone down as one of the most formidable women in history.





I’ve often thought that the ladies in waiting of history have not really been explored, but this book will hopefully change that! Unlike what the title suggests, the book is actually about all the people who were intimately connected to Elizabeth I through being one of her favoured female servants and companions. I really hope this book will encourage more writing on the subject.








Another one that is yet to be read, a Pocket full of shells is a historical fiction book, focussed on the Irish famine of the 1840’s. It follows one family as they have a second child and choose to remain in Ireland as their friends and family are leaving. It’s a rare find on this subject, so I have high hopes!





This book has been recommended to me countless times, and so I am determined to read it. Sarum sounds like the perfect book for any Pillars of the Earth fans (I am definitely one!) as it focuses on the city of Salisbury through the centuries and traces the journey of five families. Apparently there is a Cathedral in there somewhere too? Now it’s really sounding familiar…





What are your favourite books at the moment?

x 

No comments:

Post a Comment