Thursday 3 July 2014

Wimbledon 2014


I like to pretend that I know what I’m doing when it comes to sports, so Wimbledon is the perfect place to realise you not only know absolutely nothing, but you also have no sporting talent in comparison to the players.

Nonetheless, we took a trip there the other day, and I loved every minute of it! (I sadly left my big chunky camera at home, so these photos are a little fuzzy, sorry)

Wimbledon is one of the oldest tennis championships in the world, as it began in 1877. It is also one of the only tournaments to be played on grass (apparently the Australian Open used to be?!). I can tell you that strawberries and cream are still very much on the agenda there, and this year there was even strawberries and cream flavoured popcorn!

My mum has been a member of the club for a few years, and so some of us were lucky enough to go along with her to watch some matches on Centre Court. Needless to say I took the opportunity to dress up and wore my lovely new clip from Bruges, shaped like biscuits:


First we took the obligatory tour round the gift shop. I’m sad to say that it wasn’t exactly cheap (did you say £24 for a t-shirt?!) but it was fun to see what was on offer.


I took a shine to these links pieces, adorned with little rackets. Although it’s safe to say I won’t be buying one any time soon on my salary!



We had a spot of lunch before the game:



And of course, what would a game be without a Pimms!?


Next was the match. It was Nadal vs. Martin Kilzan. I had my camera poised to take a photo of this Adonis, and he didn’t disappoint:




His serves hit an average of 110mph, and we assumed it would be a quick, easy match for him. However, ‘Martin’ as everyone was cheering (because we couldn’t pronounce his surname!) put up one hell of a fight, and even won a set quite easily at the beginning.


In the end, Nadal won, but it was a much longer match than we all expected; nearly five hours in total! After all the tennis, he rewarded the spectators with this:


Before leaving we headed back to the restaurant to get have some legendary afternoon tea:



Royal Box Watch:


We managed to spot:

Hugh Jackman (with a shaved head and moustache for his current role in Black Beard)
Vernon Kay
Tess Daly
Bruce Forsyth and his wife
Alistar McGowan

Not bad for day two of Wimbledon!

No comments:

Post a Comment